BREAKING: New York Mets Confirm That Tim Tebow May Be Out For SeasonPosted: Updated:
Binghamton, N.Y. - On Sunday afternoon Fox 40 sports announced that Tim Tebow broke his right hamate bone and may undergo minimally invasive surgery, per source. Monday morning New York Mets assistant general manager John Ricco announced that the 30 year old has in fact broken his hamate bone and will have a minimally invasive surgery Tuesday in N.Y.C. at HHS.
"He's going to need surgery to remove the fractured hamate bone from his right hand. It;s about a six-eight week recovery, so effectively his season is over. He will undergo surgery tomorrow at HSS to remove the bone" said John Ricco.
On Thursday, July 19th, Tebow left Binghamton's 3-2 win over Trenton Thunder with "hand discomfort" after seemingly hurting his hand in his at-bat in the seventh inning.After being walked, Tebow clenched his hand to first base and has not played since. The following day, he underwent an MRI and X-ray on his right hand.
The All-Star was putting up impressive numbers as of late, hitting .325 on the last month and .340 on the month of July. If Thursday was in .273/.336/.399 with 6 home runs, 36 RBI in 84 games.
Rumble Ponies owner John Hughes stated that he has not spoken to Tim Tebow since news has come out regarding his injury. "I'm kind of one of those guys that when things like this happen, I kind of give them their privacy and space as they work through it because I'm sure for Tim it's a lot to digest" stated Hughes.
"Losing any of the players is a big loss, I mean Tim brought a lot of great things to the club house and to the community, so he will be missed on a multitude of levels" stated Hughes.
"By now everybody has seen Tim Tebow in action, so from my perspective,I really don't think there's going to be much of an impact to any on our crowd size or the energy in the ball park,. I think its been positive for quite some time and we're just going to continue to build on what we've been experiencing to date" said Hughes.