Print Print Article | Close Close Window

Fire in Downtown Binghamton Closes off Part of Court Street

A fire early Thursday afternoon closed a block of Court Street in downtown Binghamton.

According to the Binghamton Fire Department the fire happened at around 11:30am in the basement of 83 Court Street when a plumber using a plasma torch accidentally cut a pipe line with gas in it.

Only construction workers were in the building at the time and no one was injured. A man evacuated from his store next door told us what he saw.

"I came out of the building and started down the road and there were some police there and the firetrucks were outside. They told me not to walk in the other direction and that we couldn't be in the building anymore," Robert Wandell, Owner of Imagicka said.

"He developed a hole in the pipe and the spark from the torch actually started the fire. He was very lucky that there was no explosion or more severe flashback that could have really burnt him," Assistant Fire Chief Gary O'Neill said.

The block was closed for nearly two hours. The Binghamton Police Department and NYSEG crews were also on the scene.



View Related Articles: Binghamton, Broome County or comment on this one below.

blog comments powered by Disqus




Binghamton web design and website hosting by EFX internet  EFX internet


FOX 40 WICZ TV