Whitney Point Hosts Charity Basketball Game vs Greene
Whitney Point Central School District's gym was packed with students and community members this evening, as the Eagles hosted a faculty basketball game against Greene Central School District to raise money for Whitney Point and Greene Community Food Pantry.
The game consisted of teachers of all grade levels from each school as they played in front of a near sold out crowd raising a large amount for the community food pantry.
There was some competition at stake however, as the winning team puts forward 75 percent of the donations while the losing team contributes the other 25 percent. Founder of the event Whitney Point science teacher Alisha Cook was amazed by the outcome.
"It means a lot. It means a lot to the community. Oh, we really need to do something to bring the community together especially after all the tough times the last two years. So it means a lot to see everyone out here." said Cook.
Members of the Greene Central School District were just as excited and thrilled to not only play the game but to see such a large crowd come and support both teams.
"That’s It's all about, you know, the basketball is fine, we're out here competing, but it's all about the money going to the right place. You know, a lot of us are more fortunate than others, and it's good to give back that way." said Alex Wehrli a substitute teacher at Greene.
Both teams were battling hard right out of the gates to help push their team to winning the rights to donate 75 percent of the profits but bringing the community together and helping provide for those in need was the bigger picture.