A fire in Bath damages a garage, home, and daycare facility
BATH, N.Y. (WENY) -- No one was injured in an early morning fire Tuesday, February 21st that destroyed a Bath home which also doubled as a daycare. According to Cynthia Herrington, she was brushing her teeth around 5:40 a.m. when her husband rushed back inside and told her to call 911.
"My husband was going out to work this morning and he went out to start his truck, turned, and the garage was totally engulfed. The firemen were here in minutes, and we are so grateful for that," said Herrington, homeowner and owner of Barnyard Rascals Daycare.
Herrington said there was an electrical problem that happened in the garage that caused the fire, which ended up setting the double-wide on fire too.
"The fire investigator said that it was all due to the electrical in the garage that sparked or a short and something in one of the outlets actually set it off. What the firemen said was when the wind was blowing, it was actually blowing the flame under the house and also right against it. So once (the flames) was going under (the home), it just lit the insulation on fire, which put the whole backside of the house on fire," said Herrington.
For Herrington, she didn't just lose the source of her livelihood, but also the ability to be with the kids in her daycare.
"It's actually really hard. Daycare is my life. Kids are my life. So hopefully, we’re going to rebuild, we’re going to get this going again, and I get my kids back very soon," she said.
With the fire happening during President's Week, most children in the area have the week off from school. During the break, Herrington said she was expecting 16 kids, ages seven/eight months to 12 years old.
At the time of the fire, only Herrington, her husband, and their son were home. They were able to get their four cats, dog, turtle, and rabbit out of the home. Herrington said she is waiting on a claims adjuster, and she assumes the double-wide and daycare will be demolished since there's extensive damage.
After the fire, the home is littered with insulation from multiple holes in the ceiling. While Herrington and her family are upset about the loss of their home and daycare facility, she said she is already looking forward to the possibility of rebuilding.
"What I'm looking forward to is maybe giving the kids a little more room, get something a little bigger. So they can have more room to play, more toys, and just more fun," said Herrington.
Along with the quick response from the fire department, Herrington said she and her family are grateful for all of the support and help from friends and family.
A friend of the Herrington's started a Go-Fund Me on Tuesday afternoon, and if anyone would like to donate, you can click here.