• Home


Breaking: Endicott Man Accepts Manslaughter Plea Deal In Death Of Father

Posted: Updated:
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. -

An Endicott man charged with the 2014 murder of his father accepted a plea deal in Broome County court Tuesday reducing the charge to manslaughter in exchange for 10 years in prison.

In the courtroom, Judge Joseph Cawley asked Shawn Kostick if he took his father's life back in September 2014. 

Kostick answered "Yes, sir."

Shawn Kostick's father, Harry Kostick, had been reported missing from his Lincoln Ave home in Endicott in 2014. In 2015, police were still looking for the missing man and enlisted the media's help in spreading the word. Fox 40 aired the request from police for anyone with information to come forward. 

The disappearance came to be considered a cold case. That is, until March 2019. The missing persons case suddenly turned into a pending murder trial when Judge Joseph Cawley unsealed an indictment in open court. That indictment charged Shawn Kostick with the crime, five years after it happened. 

Broome County District Attorney Michael Korchak says Kostick made admissions to police, saying the incident happened during a fight between him and his father. Korchak says there were witnesses who finally came forward once Kostick was behind bars for a different crime.

"That's what it takes sometimes to crack these cold cases is witnesses coming forward, many years even after the crime has been committed," says Korchak. 

Korchak commends the Endicott Police Department for continuing to follow leads on the case for the past several years. In fact, it's still an open investigation, since the body was never found. For all intents and purposes, Harry Kostick is still considered a missing person. 

 

Shawn Kostick is currently serving time in prison for a separate crime. In February 2018 he was charged with burglary, harassment, and endangering the welfare of a child after police say he forced entry into a Town of Fenton home and attacked the resident inside, breaking an order of protection in the process. 

The 10-year prison sentence for manslaughter will start after his current sentence ends, extending his time in state prison.

Kostick previously rejected a plea deal offer in September 2019. The 33-year-old accepted this deal three months before his case was scheduled to go to jury trial. 

 

Shawn Kostick is also accused of writing a total of $2,983 in checks from his father's bank account after his death. 

Related Stories:

Police Search for Missing 59-year-old Endicott Man 

Endicott Man Accused of Killing His Dad in 2014
Endicott Man Accused Of Killing His Father In 2014 Rejects Plea Deal