Ram 1500 First Full-size Pickup to Earn IIHS Top Safety Pick+
SOURCE FCA US LLC
AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Sept. 10, 2019 /PRNewswire/ --
- 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab and certain 2019 Crew Cab models are first full-size pickups to earn Top Safety Pick+ under current Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) guidelines
- Top Safety Pick+ is highest rating awarded by IIHS
- Ram 1500 achieves highest possible ratings in each of the six crashworthiness tests conducted by IIHS
- Crashworthiness aided by FCA's patented splayed front frame rails
- Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) technology graded "superior," benefiting from industry's only pickup-segment application of Integrated Radar Camera Module (IRCM) – one of more than 100 available safety and security features
The Ram 1500 Crew Cab full-size pickup has been named a Top Safety Pick+ for 2019, the highest rating given by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
The rating applies to 2020 Ram 1500 pickups, and 2019 trucks produced after May of this year, when equipped with adaptive LED projector headlamps that have high-beam assist and Ram's Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) technology, Forward Collision Mitigation.
"This recognition validates our unrelenting efforts to deliver more value for our customers," says Reid Bigland, Head of Ram Brand. "The new Ram 1500 has earned many accolades for its capability and design. It is immensely satisfying to have the IIHS recognize our truck for its compelling safety story."
The Ram 1500's safety story begins with innovations such as its patented approach to frame-rail construction. The truck's front frame-rails are splayed to better manage crash energy in certain types of frontal collisions.
Of the six crashworthiness evaluations conducted by the IIHS, three simulate frontal impacts. And the Ram 1500 recorded "good" results in each, the highest possible rating.
Outcomes were the same in the three remaining crashworthiness tests, which inflict damage consistent with a side impact, rear impact and a rollover.
Also unique to the Ram 1500 is its use of an Integrated Radar Camera Module (IRCM) to accommodate Forward Collision Mitigation. The IRCM consolidates radar and camera components behind the vehicle's rearview mirror, which not only simplifies their interface, but keeps important technology out of harm's way in the event of minor collisions.
Meanwhile, Forward Collision Mitigation in the Ram 1500 earned a "superior" rating from IIHS. The optional feature boasts sensor-fusion technology, which blends camera capability with radar detection to determine when an impact is imminent.
The system initially warns the driver to take action to avoid a collision. If the driver does not act in a timely manner, the system may activate the vehicle's brakes if collision risk remains.
The Top Safety Pick+ rating is also enabled by adaptive LED projector headlamps that have high-beam assist. The technology was refined in May of this year, earning the highest IIHS rating of "good."
A "good" rating in headlamp testing is the latest IIHS requirement to earn Top Safety Pick+.
The 2019 Top Safety Pick+ rating is the culmination of many months in the spotlight for the Ram 1500 – from Motor Trend Truck of the Year to a place among Wards 10 Best Engines with its standard-equipment 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 with eTorque.
About Ram Truck Brand
In 2009, the Ram Truck brand launched as a stand-alone division, focused on meeting the demands of truck buyers and delivering benchmark-quality vehicles.
That focus leads Ram to design the industry's most innovative, award-winning trucks, emphasizing durability, strength, technology and efficiency.
With a full lineup of trucks, including ProMaster and ProMaster City vans, the Ram brand builds trucks that get the hard work done and families where they need to go. From the no-compromise Ram 1500 that defines the future of pickup trucks with innovative design, the highest quality materials and class-exclusive technology, to the Ram Heavy Duty which combines the ability to out-power, out-tow and out-haul every single competitor with the segment's most comfortable ride and handling, Ram is committed to product leadership.
Ram continues to outperform the competition and sets the benchmarks for:
- Most powerful: 1,000 lb.-ft of torque with Cummins Turbo Diesel
- Highest towing capacity: 35,100 lbs. with Ram 3500
- Heaviest payloads: 7,680 lbs. with Ram 3500
- Most luxurious: Ram Limited with real wood, real leather and 12-inch Uconnect touchscreen
- Best ride and handling with exclusive link coil rear and auto-level air suspensions
- Most interior space with Ram Mega Cab
- Most capable full-size off-road pickup – Ram Power Wagon
- Most-awarded light-duty truck in America
- Highest owner loyalty of any half-ton pickup
- Over the last 30 years, Ram has the highest percentage of pickups still on the road
Giving maximum effort all day, every day with confidence, the Ram Truck lineup steps forward with the full force of modern capability providing confidence-inspiring features and class-exclusive vehicle safety.
Follow Ram and FCA US news and video on:
Company blog: http://blog.fcanorthamerica.com
Media website: http://media.fcanorthamerica.com
Ram Truck brand: www.ramtrucks.com
Ram Zone blog: http://blog.ramtrucks.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/RamTrucks and https://www.facebook.com/FiatChrysler.NorthAmerica/
Instagram: www.instagram.com/ramtrucks and www.instagram.com/FiatChrysler_NA
Twitter: www.twitter.com/RamTrucks and www.twitter.com/FiatChrysler_NA
YouTube: www.youtube.com/RamTrucks and www.youtube.com/fcanorthamerica
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ram-1500-first-full-size-pickup-to-earn-iihs-top-safety-pick-300915169.html
©2017 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.
Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. Frankly and this Site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you are affiliated with this page and would like it removed please contact firstname.lastname@example.org