International Survey of Academic Library Data Curation Practices, 2019 Edition - ResearchAndMarkets.comPosted: Updated:
DUBLIN --(BUSINESS WIRE)
The "International Survey of Academic Library Data Curation Practices, 2019 Edition" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
This report presents data on the data curation practices of 22 academic and research library data curation programs, primarily those of major research-oriented universities.
The study gives detailed data on personnel, staff time devoted to data curation, budgets, level of cooperation with library data plans by scholars, use of data request management systems, and the role of the library in data oriented facets of work such as discovering datasets, developing metadata for data sets, archiving data and other tasks.
The report also measures the use of plans to help scholars meet data requirements of journal publishers and funding agencies, as well as general information data literacy efforts to help train faculty in data manipulation, storage, retrieval and visualization, including data on use of tutorials, courses, videos, workshops and other means.
Survey participants name their best attended or most used vehicle for teaching data management literacy, and comment on the degree of coordination on data management issues with other university or parent organization academic and administrative departments.
The report also looks at the library role in training patrons in the use of statistical packages such as R and SAS, among others.
Just a few of the report's many findings are that:
- Overall, 35.36% of respondents said the amount of staff time spent on data management had stayed about the same over the past two years; for 36.36% it increased, and for 27.27% it increased significantly.
- 13.64% of the institutions sampled offered library patrons videos or web-based tutorials on data curation or management.
- 18.18% of libraries sampled offered patrons training in the statistical analysis package R.
- Patrons estimated that a mean of 31.67% of the data projects that their libraries customarily deal with concern human subjects or are otherwise sensitive and confidential and require strict distribution monitoring.
Summary of main findings:
- How many, if any, full time equivalent positions at your library are dedicated largely to data management?
- Over the past two years has the amount of total staff time spent on data management issues by your library to increase, decrease or stay about the same?
- Over the next two years do you expect the amount of total staff time spent on data management issues by your library to increase, decrease or stay about the same?
- Does the library offer faculty advice on how to develop data management plans for grant proposals, journal publisher requirements or for personal use?
- Does the library have any series of tutorials, seminars, classes, videos or other formal means to train faculty in data manipulation, storage or management?
- Please describe in detail the library's best attended class, seminar and/or most used video or tutorial on data management issues
- Does the university library offer a class or other specialized training in how to develop a DMP (data management plan) for the US National Science Foundation or other national body for countries other than the USA?
- How strong is demand from your library patrons for data curation services from the library?
- Which phrase best describes the coordination of data services offered by entities on your campus such as academic departments especially in engineering and the hard sciences, the Library, Information Technology, Office of Research and other centers concerned with data management.
- In addition to the library what other departments or entities have devoted significant resources to data management issues?
- Does the library offer training to faculty, students or other library patrons in any of the following statistical or science-related applications?
- and much more...
- A.T Still University
- Bucknell University
- Bursa Uludag University
- California Western School of Law
- City University of New York (CUNY)
- Cleveland Clinic
- Colorado State University
- Haverford College
- Kutztown University
- Loyola Marymount University
- Macquarie University
- MGH Institute of Health Professions
- Missouri Valley College
- Northern Kentucky University
- Reed College
- Southwestern Oklahoma State University
- University of Gent Faculty of Economics and Business Administration
- University of Bath
- University of Maryland, College Park
- University of Reading
- Yakima Valley College
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/66r8np/_international?w=4
Laura Wood, Senior Press Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call 1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
Copyright Business Wire 2018
Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. Frankly and this Site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you are affiliated with this page and have questions or removal requests please contact firstname.lastname@example.org