• Home

Binghamton Firefighters Respond to Thorp St. Basement Fire

Update: On Thursday, Binghamton fire officials told Fox 40 that the fire was caused accidentally by a cigarette that was discarded outside. High winds caused it to catch hold of wiring which led to the blaze breaking out in the basement. Since the blaze was extinguished in the basement, fire officials said their was minimal damage to the building.

Binghamton firefighters and police responded to a basement fire at 72 Thorp St. in the city around noon on Wednesday.

According to fire officials, the blaze was extinguished quickly. Residents were evacuated with no injuries reported.

"There were a couple people home at the time, they got them out safely," said Binghamton Fire Chief Daniel Thomas, "From my understanding there are seven or eight people that do live here, but everybody got out safely."

The Southern Tier's American Red Cross assisted displaced residents.