• Home

Could We Enjoy Warmer-Than-Normal Winter?

Posted:
By Jason Weinstein.
After two brutally cold winters, could we actually enjoy some warmer weather in the coming months?

The National Weather Service released it's winter forecast for the country, and those of us in Upstate New York have a better-than-average chance at normal or above normal temperatures. This is due in part to a large El Nino system in the Pacific, which is one predictor of a warmer-than-average winter in our area.

"We break it down into three categories: above normal, below normal, or near normal. We're going 40-50 percent chance for above normal on temperatures, and about 25-30 percent chance of near normal, and only about 20 percent or less for below normal," said Mark Pellerito, meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Binghamton.

As for precipitation, the long-range forecast calls for a near-normal amount in our area from December through February.