• Home

Fire Breaks Out at Chenango Bridge Home

Posted:
A fire broke out at a home in Chenango Bridge after officials say the homeowner tired to thaw his frozen pipes with a heater.

Multiple crews responded to this home on Maye Street just before noon. A family of three lived at the home and there were no injuries.

Crews encountered a large amount of smoke when they arrived. Firefighters initially attacked the blaze from the inside but worries that the floor might give way due to fire underneath the trailer home caused them to fight the fire from the outside.

"We found a Salamander heater with a duct pushing underneath that have to thaw out the frozen water pipes. The homeowner had discovered the fire on the outside and underneath the trailer and tried putting it out but couldn't reach it," said Chenango Bridge First Assistant Fire Chief, Michael Norton.

A mother, father, and infant lived in the home. Grandparents of the child live across the street. Norton stresses if you need your pipes thawed to use a professional.