Dempsey excited for 2014-15 BU freshmen
4/23/2014 (Updated 10:50:27 PM)VESTAL, N.Y. - Binghamton men’s basketball coach Tommy Dempsey has bolstered his program with a recruiting class of a half-dozen talented student-athletes.
With the spring signing period underway, Dempsey officially completed his incoming class: Bobby Ahearn (Marshfield, Mass./Marianapolis Prep (Conn.), Justin McFadden (Philadelphia, Pa./Lower Merion HS), Dusan Perovic (Podgorica, Montenegro/South Kent School), Wilfredo Rodriguez (Orlando, Fla./Cheshire Academy), John Schurman (Manlius, N.Y./Fayetteville-Manlius HS) and Romello Walker (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./South Kent School).
The class includes a 6-foot-9 post player (Perovic), a 2,000-point scholastic scorer (Rodriguez), another talented guard from Philadelphia (McFadden), an all-state player from nearby Syracuse (Schurman), two teammates from South Kent prep school (Walker and Perovic) and an all-star power forward (Ahearn). Four of the six players competed in the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (Ahearn, Perovic, Rodriguez, Walker). The class is both long and athletic with each player standing 6-foot-5 or taller.
“I want to enthusiastically welcome the recruiting class of 2014 to our great University,” Dempsey said. “We feel we have another excellent recruiting class that will continue to move our basketball program in a positive direction both on and off the court. This is exciting time to be a Bearcat fan.”
The 2014 class joins a young BU program that achieved numerous milestones this past winter. The Bearcats improved their win total by four and earned the No. 6 seed for the America East Championship - the program’s highest seed since 2009. Along the way, Binghamton defeated NCAA tournament team Mt. St. Mary’s on the road and rallied from 19 points down in the second half to defeat Cornell on the road. The memorable comeback ranks eighth on the NCAA’s all-time list of second-half road comebacks. Dempsey’s young squad claimed 11 America East weekly player and rookie honors (7 rookie, 4 player) and had four different freshmen named Rookie of the Week - the first time that’s occurred in the 35-year history of the conference.
Individual player capsules are below.
- 6-foot-6, 230 lbs power forward
- Marshfield, Mass./Marianapolis Prep (Conn.)
- Honorable mention All-New England Preparatory School Athletic Council AA honors (junior)
- Third team all-league in NEPSAC Class AA in 2013-14
- 6-foot-5, 200 lbs., guard
- Philadelphia, Pa./Lower Merion HS
- Three-year starter at Alma Mater of Kobe Bryant
- Helped HS team to 30-win and AAAA state boys championship as junior
- Played for Jersey Shore Warriors same AAU program as did Jordan Reed
- MVP of Central League as senior, averaging 14.9 points per game
- Won more games (101) than any player in school history
- 6-foot-9, 220-pound, forward
- Podgorica, Montenegro/South Kent School
- Second-team Class AAA All-New England Prep School Athletic Council
- Played two seasons at South Kent
- Played for U14, U16 and U18 Montenegro national teams
- 6-foot-7, 215 lbs., forward
- Orlando, Fla./East River HS (4 yrs)/Cheshire Academy (Conn.) (as postgraduate in ‘13-14)
- Career averages of 20.2 points, 9.5 rebs, 1.9 steals, 1.9 blocks
- Graduated with 2,018 pts and 946 rebounds
- Two-time Florida Metro Conference Player of Year
- First team all-league Class B in 2013-14
- MVP of 2014 New England Prep School Athletic Conference Class B championship
- 6-foot-6, 190 lbs, guard
- Manlius/Fayetteville-Manlius HS
- Two-time All-CNY selection
- Seventh team NYSSWA all-state team as junior Class AA
- 1,538 career points – school record
- Nominated for 2014 McDonald’s All-American Game
- Averaged 22.4 points and 8.7 rebs. as senior (449 total points)
- Had other career totals of 457 rebounds, 209 three-pointers, 92 steals
- 6-foot-6, 190, guard
- Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Dillard HS/South Kent School (postgraduate)
- Honorable mention All-Broward County as senior at Dillard
- Played in New England Preparatory School Athletic Council with Rodriguez, Ahearn and Perovic
- Ranked No. 12 recruit in Connecticut by New England Recruiting Report (NERR)
- Averaged 14 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists in senior season at Dillard
(Courtesy: BU Athletics)
blog comments powered by Disqus
A News Story
If you are looking for a copy of a news story that we recently aired, simply click here to find out how.
Do you have a tip or information about a breaking news story? Contact the FOX 40 News Desk at 607.798.0070 or send us an email .