Reed, Yacob earn Conference Honors
3/7/2014 (Updated 10:49:06 PM)ALBANY, N.Y. - After leading the conference in rebounding for the second straight year and taking another run at the scoring title, sophomore guard Jordan Reed has been voted to the America East second team all-conference, the league announced on Friday. Freshman guard Yosef Yacob earned a spot on the five-man All-Rookie Team. The awards were selected by a vote of the America East head coaches and were revealed at the awards reception at Albanys SEFCU Arena on the eve of the championship.
Sixth-seeded Binghamton will face third-seeded Hartford in the last of four quarterfinal games on Saturday (approx. 8:30 p.m.).
Reed leads the entire league and ranks 35th nationally with a 9.0 rebound average. He also ranks second (by one-tenth) in scoring (15.7 ppg.) and will have to a chance to grab that statistical category with a solid showing at the conference tournament. Over the last nine games, he is averaging 19.2 points and 11.5 rebounds. Reed leads the conference and ranks 38th nationally with 10 double-doubles, including five in his last seven games.
Reed was a third-team selection last year after being one of just four players across the country to rank in the top-2 in their conference in both scoring and rebounding.
Jordan had another great season, head coach Tommy Dempsey said. He deserved to be on first team and I know he will use that as motivation going forward. He is playing his best basketball of his career right now.
Yosef becomes the fourth BU freshman in the last five years to make the All-Rookie Team. He is averaging 11.6 points (12th in the conference, 3rd among rookies) and has scored in double figures 15 times. Yacob is coming off a season-best 22-point showing against Vermont and he also hit a dramatic three-pointer at the regulation buzzer to force overtime at Hartford on Feb. 27. He was the America East Rookie of the Week on January 13 and February 4.
Yosef had a terrific freshman season so I was happy he was recognized with this honor, Dempsey said. He will continue to work hard and grow as a player. That is exciting.
Reed Accomplishments in 2013-14
- First America East player in eight years to post back-to-back 30-point performances
- First player in Binghamtons Division I history to score 30+ in back-to-back games
- Four-time America East Player of the Week the most honors of any AE player
- First guard in 33-year history of America East to lead the league in rebounding (regular season) in back-to-back years
- Broke school records for points in a game (33) and made free throws in a season (162) and tied record for made free throws in a game (17)
- Enters postseason with 906 career points and 519 career rebounds (2 seasons), on pace to set Binghamton records and crack America East all-time top-10 in rebounding and top-20 in scoring
- Only player in America East to rank in top-10 in three key defensive categories: rebounds (1st), steals (T-4th) and blocks (T-7th)
- Through 28 games, has taken 110 fewer shots and has played 57 fewer minutes than last season but has maintained comparable production. Has increased field goal percentage (from 39% to 45%) and free throw percentage (from 66% to 76%) this season
- Is nationally ranked in 10 categories
- Ranks 21st in free throw attempts, 24th in defensive rebounds, 32nd in made free throws and 35th in rebounds per game
- One of only six players across the country to rank in their conference top-2 in both scoring and rebounding.
Below is the list of Binghamtons America East All-Conference selections since the school joined the league in 2001.
Jeffrey St. Fort, 3rd Team
Nick Billings, All-Rookie
Anthony Green, 1st Team
Nick Billings, 2nd Team, Defensive Player of Year
Nick Billings, 2nd Team
Brandon Carter, 3rd Team
Troy Hailey, All-Rookie
Andre Heard, 2nd Team
Andre Heard, 1st Team, All-Defensive
Sebastian Hermenier, 2nd Team, All-Defensive
Mike Gordon, 3rd Team, All-Defensive
Mike Gordon, 2nd Team, All-Defensive
Lazar Trifunovic, All-Rookie
Mike Gordon, 2nd Team, All-Defensive
Lazar Trifunovic, 3rd Team
Emanuel Mayben, 2nd Team
D.J. Rivera, 2nd Team
Reggie Fuller, 3rd Team, All-Defensive
Greer Wright, 1st Team
Dylan Talley, 3rd Team, Rookie of Year, All-Rookie
Mahamoud Jabbi, 3rd Team, All-Defensive
Ben Dickinson, All-Rookie
Jordan Reed, 3rd Team, All-Rookie
Jordan Reed, 2nd Team
Yosef Yacob, All-Rookie
blog comments powered by Disqus
A News Story
If you are looking for a copy of a news story that we recently aired, simply click here to find out how.
Do you have a tip or information about a breaking news story? Contact the FOX 40 News Desk at 607.798.0070 or send us an email .