Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and How to Protect Yourself
1/3/2014 (Updated 10:08:34 PM)Carbon monoxide, colorless, odorless and responsible for 400 American deaths each year.
That's according to Broome County health officials.
And that number spikes during the winter due to improper heating.
Officials remind those trying to stay warm this winter not to heat their homes using an oven or gas stove. Don't burn items in a fireplace if it's not vented.
And don't use your generators inside.
"If you suspect that you've been exposed to carbon monoxide you want to remove yourself from the potential source. You always want to call 911 for emergency assistance. Fire department personnel do have the tools necessary to determine the level of carbon monoxide within the home," said Emergency Preparedness Coordinator Sean Britton.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, vomiting, nausea, confusion, and chest pain. It can also lead to loss ofconsciousness and even death.
blog comments powered by Disqus
A News Story
If you are looking for a copy of a news story that we recently aired, simply click here to find out how.
Do you have a tip or information about a breaking news story? Contact the FOX 40 News Desk at 607.798.0070 or send us an email .