Chimney Fire Damages Vestal Home
11/12/2013 (Updated 11:07:04 PM)With cold temperatures comes efforts of area residents to stay warm,
and too often, that means chimney fires from wood burning stoves.
According to Vestal Fire Chief Pat McPherson, that's what caused extensive damage to a family's home Tuesday evening at 146 Foster Road in Vestal.
Flames were shooting 20 feet above the rooftop when firefighters arrived shortly after six Tuesday evening.
"One of the problems we have is that houses get chilly, and people start using wood stoves. They have not cleaned the chimney properly. We'll probably see a little bit more of these before the season's end," said McPherson. He also gave his advice for those with chimneys, "Make sure they are cleaned by a professional, make sure everything is in good working order."
McPherson said the house is currently not habitable, but it can be repaired.
No one was home at the time, and there were no injuries.
View Related Articles:
Vestal or comment on this one below.
A News Story
If you are looking for a copy of a news story that we recently aired, simply click here to find out how.
Do you have a tip or information about a breaking news story? Contact the FOX 40 News Desk at 607.798.0070 or send us an email .