Preventing Lead Poisoning
10/25/2013 (Updated 7:07:20 PM)Could your home be making your child sick?
County officials say many houses and apartments built before 1978 have paint that contain high levels of lead. Your home might even have plumbing with lead or old toys designed with lead paint. Officials say lead poisoning can cause nervous system and kidney damage in children and is even more dangerous to children under the age of six.
"But even at very low levels a child who has lead poisoning could have a lower IQ, they could have learning disabilities, behavior problems especially as they start to get older," says Sarah Walker the Public Health Educator.
So what can you do to prevent lead poisoning? Officials recommend getting your child tested for lead, regularly clean surfaces, and wash children's hands, bottles, and toys.
You can temporarily reduce lead hazards by making repairs to damaged paint surfaces. To permanently remove the hazard, you should hire a certified lead abatement contractor.
For more safety information call 1-800-424-lead.
blog comments powered by Disqus