Coolidge Parents Angry Over Lack of Notification on Asbestos Problem
8/22/2013 (Updated 10:44:50 PM)Parents speaking out Thursday night--concerned about how long asbestos was in the air at Calvin Coolidge elementary.
At a meeting with district officials, many expressed concern over how long the asbestos had been in the air at the building.
School officials say they found asbestos in the building on July 19th and immediately sealed off the area.
Yet, summer programs continued at the school. Officials say they went above and beyond what the state required, and when the tests revealed there was asbestos in the air, they immediately shut the school down.
Many parents were upset that the district waited until August to let them know the building was being tested for asbestos
"They found it on July 19th, no one ever notified us. I continued to send my son there day after day with no knowledge of what was going on. If I would have known then I feel like a letter should have been sent home and we should have been notified that day that this is a possibility and we are testing and we are looking into it and us as parents should of had the right to make the decision of whether we wanted to send our kids there or not," said Casey O'Dell, a parent of a Coolidge student.
The state said this week that the asbestos found in the school was
ruled a minimal risk to staff and students.
The school district says although December was pegged as the month of when students can return to their building, it could be much sooner. Students will be attending other schools in the district with their Coolidge teachers for the time being.
blog comments powered by Disqus