Print Print Article | Close Close Window

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and How to Protect Yourself

Carbon monoxide, colorless, odorless and responsible for 400 American deaths each year.

That's according to Broome County health officials.

And that number spikes during the winter due to improper heating.

Officials remind those trying to stay warm this winter not to heat their homes using an oven or gas stove. Don't burn items in a fireplace if it's not vented.
And don't use your generators inside. 

"If you suspect that you've been exposed to carbon monoxide you want to remove yourself from the potential source. You always want to call 911 for emergency assistance. Fire department personnel do have the tools necessary to determine the level of carbon monoxide within the home," said Emergency Preparedness Coordinator Sean Britton.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, vomiting, nausea, confusion, and chest pain. It can also lead to loss ofconsciousness and even death.

View Related Articles: Binghamton, Broome County, NYS or comment on this one below.

blog comments powered by Disqus




Binghamton web design and website hosting by EFX internet  EFX internet


FOX 40 WICZ TV