Print Print Article | Close Close Window

Keeping Warm While Staying Safe

As temperatures drop, the chance of houses fires due to people trying to keep warm rise.

The county's senior fire investigator says they see increased calls house fire calls starting in October due to residents forgetting to clean out their chimneys or change filters on their heating appliances.

He says he they also see a lot fires due to the improper disposal of ashes.

"The other thing we see quite regularly from time to time is people who clean out their wood stoves and fire places and take those ashes and put them in a cardboard box or paper bag.  Ashes from a fire place can stay hot a couple of days afterwards and have been known to cause some pretty devastating fires," said Jeff Winchell, Broome County Senior Fire Investigator.

Winchell says this time of year many fires are caused be the improper installation of wood stoves in homes. He says residents are required to notify their local code officer if they install a solid fuel burning appliance into their home.

View Related Articles: Binghamton, Broome County or comment on this one below.

blog comments powered by Disqus




Binghamton web design and website hosting by EFX internet  EFX internet


FOX 40 WICZ TV