Fire in Afton Claims Three Lives
4/28/2013 (Updated 11:12:18 PM)TOWN OF AFTON -- New York State Police say a late night fire in the Town of Afton has claimed the lives of three people, one an 11-year-old boy.
Police say around 11:30 Saturday night, multiple fire departments responded to a mobile home at 103 Warren Lane. They say the home was engulfed in flames and it took about 40 minutes for firefighters to get the fire under control.
Further investigation found 11-year-old Craig Gohl, 45-year-old Nathan Herbert and 54-year-old Anna Ebert were inside the home at the time of the blaze. Autopsies revealed asphyxiation from smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning caused their deaths.
Officials believe the fire was started by smoking materials near the couch in the living room. They say there were no working smoke alarms in the home.
The investigation is ongoing.
View Related Articles:
Chenango County or comment on this one below.