French Fries Ignite Kitchen Fire in Endicott
10/11/2012 (Updated 11:40:25 PM)(Source: Jeremy Donovan)
Ken Ortega felt like it was a good night to cook french fries in his apartment at 319 Exchange Ave in Endicott, but after firing up the stove...he walked away for just a few minutes, and returned to a kitchen in flames.
"It doesn't take long for oil to heat up and ignite, so i don't recommend leaving the stove at any time," said Ortega.
Ortega's nephew was home at the time and heard the smoke alarm and ran downstairs.
"He thought he'd be able to put it out, but it was too full thick of smoke," Ortega said.
Inspector Paul Higgins says that getting out of the apartment quickly was the right thing to do.
"The tenant did the right thing by exiting quickly and dialing 911 right away," Higgins said. "The tenant did not try to fight the fire."
Helping the emergency crews make what they call a "quick stop."
Ortega remains firm that he is a good cook and that this was just a one time accident. He does live in apartment 13, so could it really just be unlucky?
"I'm not superstitious like that but it does cross my mind, every time i run into the door sometimes [laughs]," Ortega said.
The apartment is in shambles and while the number on the door may be unlucky, because they acted quickly, Ortega and his family are lucky to be unharmed.
View Related Articles:
Endicott or comment on this one below.