is Allergy Awareness Month:
Did You Know.
allergic rhinitis (hay fever), allergic asthma, food
allergies, drug allergies and insect sting/bite allergies.
- Allergens, which cause irritation, can
get into the body through the following ways:
- Inhaled into the nose and the
lungs (airborne pollens)
- Ingested by mouth (eating)
- Injected (medications)
- Absorbed through the skin (such as
- Plant pollens carried by the wind cause most allergies
of the nose, eyes and lungs.
- Heredity does play a role in passing on allergies to the
following generation, yet allergenic symptoms may not show
until later years in life.
- Medications to control symptoms:
– Ones taken by mouth can help with itchy watery eyes,
runny nose and sneezing, as well as itchy skin and
hives. Some types may cause drowsiness.
- Highly effective for allergy symptom control and are
widely used to stop chronic symptoms.
- allergy shots